Protecting your home and property are important to help keep the incidents of “crimes of opportunity” down in Armour Hills.
Keep these handy home security tips in mind, whether you are at home or on vacation:
* Always remember to lock the doors to your vehicle and your home, even when you are home. Close and lock your garage door when not in use.
* If your car is not in a garage, be sure to remove all valuables and take them inside with you (even when the vehicle is locked!).
* Install dusk-to-dawn or motion-sensor exterior lights around your property.
* Put away all bicycles, scooters, lawn mowers, etc. when not in use.
* Remove “lurking” areas around your home by making sure bushes/landscaping are trimmed around windows and doors.
* Display home security system stickers and yard signs.
* Do not leave extra keys in obvious places such as under doormats or in the mailbox.
* If you encounter a solicitor or see any suspicious person or activity, don’t hesitate to call 911.
Extra tips if going on vacation or if you will be gone from your home for an extended period of time:
* Let a trusted neighbor know you will be gone and provide them an extra key in the event of an emergency.
* Hold mail deliveries. (This is can be done up to 30 days in advance)
* Stop newspaper deliveries.
* Put your interior lights on a timer.
* Think twice and check your privacy settings before posting vacation pictures on social media, or wait until you return to post your pictures.
For more information, check this Burglary Prevention guide from the Kansas City Police Department.